Over 500 years old, Biserica Neagra (the Black Church) is the most representative historic monument in Brasov, the greatest Gothic church in Transylvania and, in some historians’ point of view, the greatest religious edifice from Vienna to Istanbul.
Then, after almost 200 years, a fire partially destroyed it in 1689, and the smoke blackened the walls, and for a long period of time the façade couldn’t be renovated.The restoration lasted about 100 years, but the place of worship was called Biserica Neagra (the Black Church) because of its black smoked walls (Die Schwarze Kirche in German and Fekete Templom in Hungarian).After almost 150 years, in 1716, blacksmith Meensen Hannes made a wonderful wrought iron grating that surrounds the font.Then, in the South porch there is a mural painting made after 1476 that shows Virgin Mary and Child Jesus, featured between Saint Catherine and Saint Barbara.A sculpture uncommon for a place of worship is to be found on the North buttress.
It is about the representation of a child that seems to be about to fall.
The crests of Matthias Corvinus and his wife Beatrice of Naples – Aragon are at the bottom of the painting.
Three folds, with five paintings from the Feldioara altar (the end of the 15th century) are also to be mentioned.
The pews in the naos date from the end of the 17th century and the first half of the 18th century and have Baroque wooden carved ornaments.
Then the lecterns are in neo – gothic style, dating from 1866, and the pews in the centre of the naos, made of oak wood, were placed there in 1937.
Between 19 the sculptures from the exterior buttresses were replaced with copies, and the originals were sheltered inside the church.